Sick of throwing out food? Now you don’t have to Read more
Go plastic-free one simple change at a time
With mind boggling stats about how much plastic is sold every minute around the globe – about 1 million single-use plastic bottles which equates to 20,000 every second – tackling plastic pollution begins to seem like a mammoth task. However the good news is we can all make a difference, just by making one change at a time.
Founder of the Plastic Free July Foundation, Rebecca Prince-Ruiz assured us it’s not as daunting as it seems.
“Making a difference is as simple as swapping out your usual disposable coffee cup with an eco-friendly version, bringing your own re-useable bags to get groceries, or even switching to soap instead of using bottled wash products,’’ she says.
1. Just make one swap at a time, if you try and change everything at once it’s too overwhelming
2. Use an eco-friendly coffee cup to get your caffeine fix, or just BYO a mug from home
3. Avoid plastic packed fruit and vege
4. Bring reuseable bags to do your grocery shopping
5. Bulk buy or get re-fills where possible, even some bigger supermarkets have bulk buy options for dried fruits, nuts and seeds
6. Swap bin liners for layers of newspaper you can wrap up and place in your outside bin
7. Use beeswax wraps, or a reusable container, instead of plastic wrap to keep your produce fresh
8. Look for paper packaging rather than plastic – for example choose toilet paper made from recycled paper, wrapped in paper
9. Swap your plastic toothbrush for a bamboo option
10. Look out for skincare and personal care products like deodorant in recyclable glass jars or bottles
These denim brands are changing the way they manufacture our fave wardrobe staple Read more